Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Refinishing Chronicles…The Stand Mixer



Ebay is a wonderful tool, you can find nearly every whim or trifle there, it brings together people with a want or a need of something and those who have a want or need to be rid of something.  I wanted a vintage stand mixer.  Something with character, something sturdy with a good name behind it, and something used-because the new ones are far, far, far too expensive.  And since its an indulgence, who knows how it will fit into my culinary lifestyle?  I had narrowed down my search early on; it had to be a Kitchenaid.  Then, it had to be a Hobart Kitchenaid.   How much power did I need?  Well, everyone says “they don’t make them like they used to,” and then proceed to go on and on about how their Kitchenaid mixer could blend cement for building materials or some such great feat, so that set my mind at ease about the power issue.  Color was the next big thing.  White?  So boring.  Blends, I suppose, but I’m more of a bright in the kitchen kind of gal.  Black?  No, same reasons and too modern.  Red?  Hmmm.  Nah, too popular, and I don’t want a red-heavy kitchen.  And then it seemed that all of these questions were answers when I stumbled upon this neglected beauty:



How awful!  How simply hideous, but since you have a hard time taking your eyes off of it…what does that say?  I became enthralled.  Green, refreshing, citrus, bright, clean and fun.  So different than any I had seen thus far.  This was the one.  Excitement followed, after winning the item in a neck in neck bidding fight, relief, than anticipation…for the newest member of the kitchen family to arrive.
It finally did, in a clumsy, flimsy box, wrapped in paper and rattling around.  I was relieved that it did, in fact, still work after all of that.   I unwrapped it, to find:



What the heck?  This was not my mixer.  This was not my wonderfully hideous much awaited addition.  What was this bland, pale green imposter?  I checked it over.  Scratch by scratch.  It was the same mixer as pictured.  Just a few (very important!!!!) shades of green off.  What a disappointment.  And to top it off, it was filthy.  It took four hours of scrubbing years of dirt and grim from it’s many crevices and parts to get it reasonably clean.  The seller was definitely knocked down more than a few rungs in my esteem although I never got to rate them.  Fraudulent, it how I feel toward them.  Anyway…I was not about to let my dreams be crushed by this blatant misrepresentation.  Time to hatch a plan.  I must have my lime green mixer, I must transform this into my lime green mixer.

Step one.
Deep cleaning.  A toothpick and a paperclip were employed.  I don’t need to say any more.

Step two.  Prepare the mixer.  Painters tape and patience.  Plenty of patience.  And little tiny pieces of tape.  Removed the back cover, taped the tiny screw to the cord and bagged it.  



Step three.
Priming.  Four thin coats of primer did the trick.  Following the dry-time and interval instruction on the can.


Step four.
Sanding smooth.  Steel wool is one of those nails-on-a-chalkboard things for me, funny because nails on a chalkboard don’t really bother me, but I can’t stand to touch the stuff.  It’s awful.  So, the mister was employed for this step, and gave me a nice smooth surface to start the color process from.


Step five.
Green coats.  I think I lost count after five coats, there may have been more, I used pretty much the whole can, doing my best to ensure even coverage in thin coats.  It did start to sprinkle on me at one point, so I rigged up an umbrella and a chair to protect my little project until it was dry enough to move inside.

Step six.
Clear coats.  Four thin coats of Krylon gloss protective clear spray paint was the last step.  To do this I had to wait 48 hours after the last color coat had been applied.  This was the fastest drying and I was able to move it in about an hour without too much concern.

Finished mixer:


 




So, I think I did pretty good, eh?
It looks now like it should, and now I can all the fun I want with it!








No comments:

Post a Comment