Sunday, August 5, 2012

Pasta with Chicken, Cream Cheese, Red Pepper and Parmesan


This is one of those easy dishes that doesn’t take long to whip together, and makes great leftovers for lunch the following day.  I like it because it lets me incorporate a great trinity: cream cheese, red pepper and parmesan, something I discovered while making finger food for Christmas Eve one year, and it’s a staple for the holiday ever since-I’ll share it with you this holiday too. 
You may think that I am stuck on farfale noodles, I have to tell you, that just isn’t the case, it’s mere coincidence that several of my later recipes have included them, but I’m nearing the end of the box soon.  This recipe can be made with spaghetti noodles for that matter, but tossing the “sauce” and evenly coating the noodles would be more of a challenge, trust me, I’ve tried.  So, here it is, another farfale recipe, but I was pleased with it, and think if you made it you would be too.  This makes enough for two, with maybe a bit leftover for lunch the next day (for one!).




Ingredients:
1 chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cut into small bite-sized pieces (about 1/2 inch cubed)
3/4 C frozen peas
1/2 C parmesan cheese, grated
4 oz cream cheese (yes, 1/3 less fat variety works just as well)
1/3 C roasted red pepper, chopped
2 t olive oil
3/4 T dried parsley
1/2 t ground black pepper
1 2/3 C farfale noodles (about), uncooked

  • In a medium sauce/boiling pan, bring water to a boil and cook farfale noodles as directed, usually about 11 minutes              
  • In a large skillet, heat olive oil, and cook chicken pieces turning over halfway through (when chicken turns white up the sides of the pieces)
  • Season meat with 1/4 t black pepper
  • Set aside chicken when cooked through (test a piece)
  • Rinse and wipe skillet if you have any burnt residue
  • Add frozen peas, cream cheese, red pepper to skillet
  • While cream cheese softens, gently work it around to coat other ingredients
  • Add chicken, parsley, grated parmesan cheese, stirring to coat
  • Add noodles, one third at a time, coating, and the remaining 1/4 t of black pepper
Serve and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment