Sunday, September 1, 2013

Simplicity 2186 Long Skirt, Easy

Yes, I must be into the long skirts lately, for here comes another!
Simplicity 2186






































When I first bought this pattern, I had intended to make view D, the shorter straight version and add the bottom ruffle of view C.  However, I didn't bother looking at the finished garment measurements and just went ahead and cut for view C.  When I had it all put together, I was so glad I made the longer version, it's really a nice skirt!  And it does show one's shape.

I cut for a size 10, and it's none too big, there isn't much gather at the waistline, which is aesthetically pleasing, but next time I think I'd cut even a size larger, or at least make it so around the waist and hips.  Perhaps it is my fabric though, cutting diagonally across the grain really left the fabric with no give whatsoever.





This project was great, though, it was fast, easy, and I don't even remember the instructions, but am pretty sure there were few steps.  Great for an afternoon project or a beginner, or someone who just wants to feel productive and bang one out in a jiffy.

I used some fabric that I had picked up at Hancock's, one of their spot-the-bolt clearance specials, and was able to make this skirt with 2 yards of 43" wide.  I really don't know what kind of fabric it is, exactly, I'm not well versed in the lightweight, not see-through, airy, non-cotton but will fray like the dickens sort.  But I'm glad to have found a use for it that seems suitable.  No alterations on this one.

My feet look big here.






3 comments:

  1. how did you manage to line up the bottom part of skirt with to top part ?? This didnt work for me :s

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry it didn't work out so easily for you, I just made sure that I pinned the right sides (L-L, R-R) together, it was a double check sort of thing with the swoop at the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I havent sewn it together just yet, so maybe I will try that (L-L, R-R). I'll see what happens :)

    Thanks !

    ReplyDelete