Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Butterick B4685, Again



This time around I went for view D, with the shortest of sleeves, using the least amount of fabric, since I had only one yard of 50” wide.  A great stripy remnant I picked up from a great fabric store for exactly $1.  



After my last experience with sewing view A of this pattern, I was skeptical at the best of moments, about giving it another go.  However, the elastic around the abdomen made all the difference in the world.  Speaking of elastic, I used 3 different kinds to make this top: 1/8” for the sleeves, 1/4” for the neckline, and 1/2" for the midsection.  That pretty much cleaned up my stash, guess I’ll have to go shopping at a fabric store for more, oh darn!

Things I changed about this pattern:
I lengthened the front and back pieces by 3-4 inches, and skipped the lace down the front (I figured the stripes had enough going on), but instead added 3 buttons to round things out.   I also took about a half inch off at the cut on the fold side to remove a bit of the excess that was present in my experience with view A.  I didn’t like where it was marked to put the elastic and casing on the inside of the shirt, it seemed far too high, and with my fear of extra shrinking in the fabric, I lowered it and placed it where it felt right.



Conclusion:
Overall, I think it turned out well enough.  A nice break from all of the solid summer shirts I’ve accumulated.  It’s certainly an easy patter, as advertised.  Though I’m no good at hemming curves like those on the bottom on the sides.  



No comments:

Post a Comment