Thursday, September 26, 2013

Magical Marzipan from Austria



In my family, we have been making marzipan since I was a wee little gal.  We don't go as far as blanching, peeling and grinding our almonds, but it is a long process.  However, the end result is like nothing else.  Granted, it is an acquired taste, and I remember taking some to school to share with my friends.  Seeing their faces turn funny and noting their displeasure made me realize that it wasn't for everyone.  Fine.  I hoarded my stash from then until adulthood, when I ventured out into sharing this delicate delight once again.  Lucky for me, my husband likes them OK.  He even sits down to shape fruit and vegetables with me about a week before Christmas while we sit in front of a Christmas classic movie.  We don't start with marzipan, though, but almond paste.

Anyway, knowing that I enjoy marzipan like I do, he was sweet enough to track down and score some for me while abroad in Austria, so I thought I'd share these little gems with you...real marzipan!  From a confectionery and cafe called Aida in Vienna that has been around for quite some time--1913.

Aren't they beautiful though?  (I think so)


The bars to the left are from Cafe Konditorei, since 1884, in Salzburg.



No comments:

Post a Comment