Friday, August 30, 2013

Simplicity 1881 Project Runway Dress



1881 Misses’ Knit Dresses in three lengths with bodice variations

I made size 4 of dress B, sleeveless version. (Sorry for the grainy photos!)



This pattern was, at times, a feat.  The worst of which was the neck/yoke, which came out far too small, pulling the bodice up and making the skirt very uneven from front to back.  Luckily, I had enough fabric to cut more pieces of this, adding a few inches (completed per pattern measured 21.5” down the middle of the yoke, mine re-done measured 29” the same way), but it was a real pain ripping the old one out.  I didn’t like the directions for the yoke either, and went with another way that made more sense to me: sewing the separate pieces together, then sewing the inside (top/nearest neck) seam of the yoke and yoke facing together, using interfacing in sections instead of a solid piece so that it adds stability and strength but also allows some stretch as well, then pressing in the bottom hem of the yoke, and pining the bodice pieces in place between the yoke and the yoke facing, then stitching the seam.  Sounds like a lot, maybe, but it was a lot clearer than the instructions.

















Other complaints:
I saw no point in having a zipper in this dress, so left it out.

Also, there were no gather lines on the bodice front or back, so you don’t know how much you are supposed to pull in, or to fit between what section.

I think the midriff also could have been a bit longer; I really had to skimp on the seams.  And I’m not sure if I like the skirt gathers, which have stopping points on the sides, rather than an even gather all around. 

 As cut, the pattern also leaves you with the front being 2 inches longer than the back.


 No, I  can’t see that I’ll ever sew this pattern again.  I am glad that this project is done, it is only the second pattern by Project Runway that I’ve sewn, and it is likely that this is the last as I had major difficulty with the first as well.  Maybe it’s just me!  Good luck!




No comments:

Post a Comment