Monday, August 12, 2013

Potato Salad Without Dairy

Going to a picnic but don't want to drag a cooler?  Bringing a side dish but don't want to worry about refrigeration?  Or maybe just tired of the tried-and-true creamy potato salad?  Ready to try something a bit lighter and different?

I have the recipe for you!

The inspiration for this is that I'm trying to cut down on my dairy, and it's summer (!) so I want to feel like I'm eating lighter.  Anyway, it came out quite well.



What you'll need:

4 medium (to med-small) red potatoes
1/4 C thin (very thin) sliced onion
2 T vinegar
2 T olive oil
1/4 t sugar
2 t dried basil

What to do:

Slice potatoes and rough-cube them to about an inch by one half inch thick
Slice onion, and cut into pieces no longer than an inch
Boil potatoes just until they are getting easy to pierce with a fork, drain
While the potatoes are boiling, in a bowl mix together the oil, vinegar, sugar, and basil
Toss in the onion to coat
Add potatoes still hot from boiling and gently mix with vinegar mixture
Allow to cool on counter top, then refrigerate.  Taste develops even better overnight.




Talk about easy, eh?  And what a change of pace.  This potato salad does grow on me each time.  But here is a simple, basic method to get you started, let me know how you tweak it around!


No comments:

Post a Comment