Monday, August 5, 2013

Pretty Purslane, to eat too



We've been enjoying our "salvage" plant picked up earlier this year from Lowes, which by the looks of it the only thing wrong was that one of the pots hangers was broken, and have become quite intrigued by the purslane plant.

Reasons I've found so far to love this plant:
1.  Beautiful mound of blooms
2.  Works with my watering schedule
3.  Cool, succulent type leaves
4.  The draping effect
5.  Attracts honeybees



And as if that weren't enough reasons to really enjoy this prolific plant, I've just discovered that it is edible!
That's right, the portulaca oleracea, my purslane, is enjoyed in Europe, parts of Asia, the middle-east and Mexico.  It is reported to have a slightly sour and salty taste.  Apparently, it is edible up to the root.

Has anyone ventured to try this?  Tell me what you thought?

I may go for it, but would rather not go in blind!

I'd also like to hear from anyone who has tried to winter these plants inside--success or failure, I'd like to know!


No comments:

Post a Comment