Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Next Project: The Office

The idea came to me one day, I think it was in the morning, our "office" slash "spare bedroom" slash "where everything else goes" room is in need of help.  Lots of it.  It's not a room that I really spend time in, or have reason to.  My "office" is all over the place: the dining room table, the living room, the kitchen side counter, all the places that I stash my important stuff, stuff that needs attending to, in places where it shouldn't be.  My computer lives on the table, so it never looks very nice in that area either.  Organization is important to me, don't get me wrong, and I have my method by golly.  It doesn't matter that no one else gets it!  But it does grow tiresome. 

Couple that with the fact that the rest of our rooms seem to have purpose, a healthy theme to them, a great use and togetherness of the pieces in it.  This is all missing from the office.  One day, I voiced my opinion that our bookcases looked so very sad, the mis-matched, sagging, shelves overladen with heavy books and bowing terribly inspired me to say something along the lines of...we should build bookcases!  A set-that matches! 

Well, we really was me, and I got myself into a bit of a pickle in terms of underestimating how much work goes into that sort of thing.  For me, who has never made something that big, from scratch, it would be quite an undertaking.  I realized this when I went to draw up a plan.
How tall?
How wide?
How many shelves?
How deep?
Can you find that wood?  Here?  Within an hour's drive?
How will this be supported?
Who will cut the wood?
And on, and on.

But then, it gets to be an even grander scheme.

You would think I had learned my lesson, after opening my mouth and getting myself into something I knew nothing about, but no, no no.  I go even further.
Wouldn't it be nice if I had my own desk?  In the office?
So the hunt was on for a new desk as well.  When I say "new" I mean new to me, by the way.

A consensus was made on the ideal wood color: lighter.  
Then arose the idea...lets make all of the office furniture that color.
Ladies and gentlemen, get your chemicals ready for a stripping party.  And don't forget the gloves.

Here is a checklist of all the items we agreed to makeover:
The mister's desk
The desk chair
The rocking chair
Frames?

Along with acquiring a desk, which will most likely need to be refinished.

And these bookcases, that I need to build.

Nice, eh?  When am I going to learn to keep my mouth closed?

I'll post on the progress of this office "makeover" endeavor.  For your amusement and mine!















No comments:

Post a Comment