Wednesday, October 10, 2012

"Russian" Tea Cakes-My favorite cookie






This is a special day here on the blog.  I’m going to share with you my favorite cookie recipe in the world.  Russian Tea Cakes.  This is a recipe I’ve grown up with, and it always has a place on our Christmas Eve table.  I wish I could claim that it is an old family recipe, brought back from the old country, or even that it was my own stellar invention.  It’s not.  It is actually a recipe by Betty…Betty Crocker that is.  Here is the link to the official site:


1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
3/4 cup finely chopped nuts
1/4 teaspoon salt
Powdered sugar


1 Heat oven to 400ºF.
2 Mix butter, 1/2 cup powdered sugar and the vanilla in large bowl. Stir in flour, nuts and salt until dough holds together.
3 Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.

 
4 Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until set but not brown. Remove from cookie sheet


Here’s where I vary a little bit…
5 Take them off the cookie sheet immediately, and roll them in powdered sugar.  Set aside to cool.


6 When completely cooled, roll again in powdered sugar.




*I use a food processor to grind pecans to a fine chop and they blend into the balls very evenly. 
Otherwise, this recipe is Perfect!


No comments:

Post a Comment