Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Office: Step Two...Chair

This chair went with the desk that came with my mister, so it's been around for quite a while and in pretty good shape too.  I know he's spent many hours on that chair, and finds the grooves comfortable.  Me, I'd put a pad on it.  Well, this chair had been sitting in our office, stripped, for a year, waiting for us to decide on what color stain to aim for, and since that decision was now made, we decided to go ahead and give this chair the treatment. 
Mistake!!
Using the golden oak on this chair turned it red!  I don't mean an understated red, I mean an unmistakable red.  That simply wouldn't do.  So, thinking quickly, we tried to thin it with some paint thinner, but could see that we were putting in a lot of effort and getting uneven results.  It would have to be stripped again.  Joy.  It would probably be a little less unsavory (just a little) if we had a decent hardware store around that sold things like...curved stripping tools.  That not being the case, and hours later on a separate weekend, the chair was again stripped.  This time, however, we opted just for the poly coats.

Here is the finished product, which looks oh so good with my new desk (stay tuned for future parts):



I have no idea what kind of wood this chair is made out of, but if I had to guess...golden oak?

 



No comments:

Post a Comment