Sunday, January 26, 2014

Simplicity 3568--The Cotton Tunic Shirt



Simplicity 3568
Easy to sew
Tunic length top, I made view A in a straight 10.
I wanted something to wear with my new black knit pants, that are sort of like leggings.

It really doesn't look like much from the front...scroll down for more photos though.
 
It was an easy pattern, at least it should be and should have been, but that is my own fault.  I chose this opportunity to try out French seams.  I looked it up, got directions, wrote it down and had them by my side.  Somewhere along the way, things got muddled, and I ended up sewing the wrong sides of several pieces together.  Sooo….pick pick pick out those stitches.  Lesson learned.  From there it was smooth sailing…almost.  I got to the point of putting on the neck facing.  I had already decided that my cotton was sturdy enough to skip the interfacing and attached the piece.  It looked dreadful.  I couldn’t get it to lay flat.  So, I top stitched it down.  Still, it irritated me.  Tauntingly poking up here and there, and even showing from underneath (especially those bunchy curved edges on the un-attached side).  I couldn’t take it anymore, and once again, befriended my seam ripper.  Whew, that felt better already.  I guess what I’m trying to say is, I finished the neck line with a rolled seam, and am done with *all* neck facing pieces for the entire foreseeable future.

Evil neck facing piece, after being ripped out.
Neckline w/o stupid facing piece.

I also finished the slits in the bottom by ignoring the directions and just doing what made sense.  Not real wild about the placement of the darts in the front, I think I’d like them more if they were at an angle instead of seemingly straight across.  It seems it would be more flattering this way.

Overall, I think I’m going to like this piece alright.  The fabric is still a bit stiff, but more washings will help that I’m sure.  I might try view C, with the cowl neck, since that is what I originally got this pattern for, but for now I have some other projects waiting.










No comments:

Post a Comment