Sunday, January 26, 2014

Simplicity 1540--Grey Fleece Coat




Simplicity 1540

Misses Jacket in two lengths with collar variations



I made view A in size 8 out of some fleece blankets I picked up before Christmas at Walmart, 2/$5. 
               
It seemed like this project had a lot of steps, though the pieces went together quickly, until I got stuck. The first half of the instructions were fine, but I remember reading and re-reading one step of the collar, for some reason I just wasn’t getting it.   Then on step 34 I figured enough of this basting nonsense, I’m stitching (because they never go back and stitch it!).  But the most confusing part to me was that of the sleeves.  Step 40 doesn’t even look like it goes with the drawing, and doesn’t make sense.  And after reading the paragraph of step 42 time and time again, I had to step away for a while.  Then come back, ignore the directions and work out the following so that it was reasonable (to me): sleeve cuff--on outside of sleeve, place cuff right sides together so raw edges meet, stitch at 5/8” and again at 1/4” from seam.  Turn.  Trim inside cuff seam along stitching, press seam up, turn outside again, top stitch 1/2” from seam on sleeve (not cuff).  This was so that I can catch the seam in the top stitching. 

The only actual change I made to the pattern was to shorten it, I used a length about halfway between the cut lines for the shorter jackets and the longer ones; about 29 inches from base of neck to bottom hem in back.

Oh, I also learned that the type of fleece I used had a bit of stretch to it after all, and it really was a good idea to practice the button holes before putting them on the jacket itself-they would have been way too big!  I made a few on scrap and threw out the measuring rules of thumb on button size vs. button hole, because the holes would just stretch out, and figured it by trial and error. 






I really like the finished product though!  It’s the best jacket I’ve ever sewn, (including that one other one I did) and I might make another version of this again some time.  Maybe a shorter version of the same jacket, or maybe even the shawl collar one.
For now it is just too cold to wear it, but I have something nice to look forward to when the weather starts to warm a little, for now, it's parka time!



No comments:

Post a Comment