Sunday, January 26, 2014

New Look A6891--Flowy Sheer Shirt



New Look A6891



*Easy
Flow-y shirts with sleeve variations from long sleeved to sleeveless.
I made view C, size 10
View C in that size calls for 1 5/8 yards of 45” fabric, however, I completed this project with 1 1/2 yards of 38” fabric and had some pieces left over.  The caveat is that I didn’t use all of the pieces, I omitted #6, the neck binding/tie piece.

Yes, it was fairly easy to sew, only 3 pieces to cut out (4 if you included the one I didn’t), and like other reviewers, I cut the front on a fold to avoid a front seam.  I had planned to do this for the back as well, but ended up cutting the side seam on a fold (too many distractions I think) and had to remedy that (oops).  So my back does have that annoying center seam, made even more obvious by the fact that my material was see through.
But that aside, I didn’t really follow the directions, because it was so easy to see how it would all go together.  This was my second try at French seams, and I’m loving them.  Can’t figure out if they are safe for sleeves though, or in this case, sleeves with those gathers in them, so I did the old press seam open, fold each side half way in, press together and stitch enclosing raw edges.  This was the most annoying step because getting all of the gathers to cooperate was an exercise in patience.
Instead of using the neck binding strip, I simply made a rolled seam at the neckline.  I did put in the basting stitch at the beginning so that I could gather, and made sure those ends were still accessible after sewing the neckline, then pulled them to gather and tied them off.  Not sure if this was a smart way to do it, but time will tell.




I like it OK.  It’s nice and flow-y, and a light-weight shirt to help keep the sun off my shoulders when warm weather returns.  Thank goodness for the front gathers, though, otherwise it would have been a total bag.  Glad to have found a use for this fabric that I’ve had for a long while, and to have tried out this pattern, which has had my curiosity for some time.  I’d say it’s about a 50/50 shot that I’d sew it again.  Well, maybe 40/60.


No comments:

Post a Comment