Thursday, January 23, 2014

A Little Something for the Kitties



I don't know if I've mentioned it before on this blog, but, we have two cats, who happen to be polar opposites but manage to get along just swimmingly anyhow, and these two cats are spoiled with affection.  Now I'm not saying we drip and drool over them all day or all night long, but they are very well taken care of in terms of appreciation and love. 



This was the inspiration for a fun Christmas project for them, since their little socks were empty (already have too many toys) and one of them would have gotten a lump of coal anyway.  A cat tree!  For the climber and for the cuddler.  I put this one together for less than $20, with some luck coming my way, that is. 




I used 1 x 3 furring strips (2), one OSB sheathing board, a can of mismatched antique white paint from Sherwin Williams, and 4 yards of bamboo cotton soft fabric.  Tools: paint brush (included in $20 b/c I needed one), jig saw, sander (it's new, I'm trying it out), drill, hammer, nails-screws-washers*


*for use in keeping the fabric from twisting while I screwed in the top screws into pre-drilled holes, through the fabric.  Snip a little hole in the fabric over the screw hole (easiest to feel and mark with a pin), exchange the pin for a screw, slip over the washer (make sure it is big enough to slip off around the head of the screw, we don't want to leave it there) and press down onto the fabric so that it is away from the screw and pressed tight against the board, now drill your screw in, and slip the washer over the head-done.



What do you think?  One cat has already staked out the top shelf, but it wasn't the one we thought who would...

No comments:

Post a Comment