Wednesday, April 3, 2013

To Make a Stand in 14 Steps



And now for my next trick…I shall attempt to make a stand for my humidifier.
Why? Because I’m tired of shuffling the humidifier on and off the step stool (which is the last in a line of things that elevate to be designated the duty) whenever I need to use it.  And, of course, because this will look better…I hope.

So, because it’s me, the stand will need to be something of a simple construction, at least simple-ish, and cheap.  I looked around on the internet, and just didn't see what I was looking for, and reading a lot of instructions is a big detractor for me.  Time to sit down and hatch a plan. 

Here is what I came up with:

Forgot to add grout to the list!
Finished measurements are: 14"L x 14"W x 32 1/2"H

Sneak peak of finished stand:


My Assembly
1. On sides 2 - 4 (where the cross pieces fit flush with the legs), I used 2 nails and 1 (1 1/4”) screw at each end to affix the supportive cross pieces along the bottom, placing the top of the cross piece at 11 inches from the leg bottom.

2.  For the top cross pieces, a calculation must be done first.  I wanted the tiles to be flush in height with the top cross pieces, so adding the height of the tiles plus the thickness of the subflooring top ( ¼” + ¼”), I used a position allowing 1/2” above the legs for the cross pieces.  This will be the case for all top cross pieces.
I affixed the top pieces for sides 2 - 4 in the same manner (2 nails, 1 screw at each end).


3.  On sides 1 - 3 (where the cross pieces extend 3/4” on each end), I affixed one nail to one end of each top and bottom cross piece.  Measuring to place the top of the bottom cross pieces again at 11 inches from the bottom of the leg, and the same measurement technique above for the top.

4.  Placing the sides opposite each other, clockwise 1-2-3-4, affix the remaining nails and screws once the cross pieces are lined up with those firmly affixed.



5.  Attach the top, using 2 nails at each corner into the legs.

6.  Time to stain…
7.  While the first application is drying, I began carving a simple curve on the wood tiles. 



8.  Second coat of stain, including the tiles.


 
9.  Then I gave the top a quick paint with a white enamel, and let all dry overnight.



10.  Now to affix the wood tiles to the corners of the cross pieces.  This will hide the ugly joint well.  I used my very favorite glue: E-6000.  Remember to glue them with an overhang of 1/4" so that both pieces will form a corner nicely.

Stand on its side


11.  On to the poly coat.
12.  Glue down the glass tiles on top.

Again, I used E-6000 glue

13.  Grouting.  Fun and messy!

Fully grouted!!
Wipe down wood with slightly damp cloth/paper towel.

Once set, 24 hrs later, buff tiles with slightly damp paper towel

14.  Seal the grout, final wipe clean.

Pretty!

Done!   




What do you think of this finished product?  A bit primitive, I think, but it should serve the purpose for some time to come.  And now my stool and step ladder are forever relieved of the duty.



No comments:

Post a Comment