Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Cranberry Banana Bread Pudding

I like certain flavor combinations, trouble is, I can't always find a recipe for what I want to make, so I end up experimenting a lot to get what I want.  The good news is, once I've worked out the kinks, I can pass it along to you.  Here is a bread pudding recipe that I got stuck on after having an order of really good bread pudding from a little Italian sandwich shop years ago.  I think I have it right, not too sweet, flavorful, and (don't tell anyone...relatively healthy!) a great dessert for the fall, or anytime.  You can serve it warmed or cold, it's great for breakfast. Some folks like to put it in a bowl and add cold milk or sprinkle extra sugar...whatever floats your boat!


Heads up--this recipe uses a bunt pan and requires an hour of absorption for best results.

Ingredients:
1 loaf, minus 4 slices, white sandwich bread
1 can cranberry sauce
1 C brown sugar
4 eggs
1 t margarine for greasing pans
1 1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
1 2/3 C milk
2 medium bananas

To Make:
  • Remove the crusts from the sliced bread, and tear or cut the slices into 1/2 " cubes
  • Peel and slice bananas, place in a medium bowl and mash well
  • In a large mixing bowl, add the 4 eggs, whisk until blended
  • Add nutmeg and cinnamon, whisk
  • Add one cup milk, whisk
  • Add bananas, whisk
  • Add remaining 2/3 cup milk, whisk
  • Add cranberry sauce, whisk (or use hand mixer) until well dispersed
  • Add cubed bread, and coat to mix, make sure all cubes are saturated
  • Let mixture sit and absorb for an hour in the refrigerator
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • Grease bunt pan with margarine
  • Carefully transfer the batter from the bowl to the bunt pan
  •  Bake for 1 hour

Cool completely before refrigerating.  Flavors will continue to develop a bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment