Friday, July 6, 2012

Best Wine in the World (according to my mouth!)


Last year, we were fortunate enough to spend our anniversary in a far away place that I’ve always wanted to visit….Greece.  We spent five nights on beautiful Milos, and divided our time on the mainland between Athens and Nafplio.
 


Of course there was wine by the roadside, sold in liter plastic bottles at stands proudly owned by the vintner themselves, but all paled in comparison to what I found…my ultimate favorite wine.  Strangely enough, we stumbled upon it by pure luck and chance in a market on Milos.  We couldn’t have known that what we bought and transported back would be forever memorable for me as the greatest wine I’d ever tasted.  The wine was a bottle of 2009 Vin Doux, from Samos, and if you are a fan, or even intrigued by, the notion of a smooth, sweet, almost thick nectar (likened only in my mind to a Sauterne)-this is for you.



The label proclaims "The classic expression of small-berried Samos Muscat.  Allow it to introduce you to the fragrances of this noble grape variety which made Samos famous throughout the world.  Enjoy it cool at 8-10 degrees C on its own or as a fine accompaniment for fruits, fresh or dries, light desserts or ice creams."  This is the underselling statement of the year!  It is so much more than that.

Galileo Galilei said that "Wine is sunlight, held together by water,” well, I say that the Vin Doux is wine, drenched in sunlight, kissed by honey, and a pure luxury of the palate.  It is perfection.  Do I bother saying that I wish I had more?

No comments:

Post a Comment