Friday, July 20, 2012

Beautiful Baked Easy Cheesy Quiche


Quiche was introduced to me by the mister many years ago when we were courting, and upon trying it once, I was hooked.  What an excellent breakfast, addition to brunch, or light dinner, as we had tonight.  There are so many variations to buy, I couldn’t resist trying to make it myself.  I wanted a version that was somewhat “healthy” and versatile enough to change according to my mood, or in reality, what filling ingredients I might have around already.  I tried a few recipes from other sites, but I just wasn’t keen on using that many eggs, or buying cream just for this, so I came up with this…my very easy quiche recipe.  



The basics: eggs, milk, crust and bake time do not vary with the fun ingredients I throw in, so feel free to change it around however you like to suit.  Warning: this may be obvious to you, but it wasn’t to me, early on, do not use tomatoes in the filling, you will end up with a gloppy, sloppy, wet mess.

Tonight’s quiche involved vegetables, frozen and fresh, that were just sitting around doing nothing constructive, waiting to be used.



Ingredients:
1 9-inch unbaked pie crust (yes, I cheated and used one from a box, I mentioned this was an easy quiche)
3 large eggs
1 3/4 C milk (I used 2%)
1 C chopped mushroom
1/2 C chopped onion
1/2 C frozen spinach, thawed
1/3 C shredded mozzarella
1/3 C shredded parmesan
1 1/2 T chopped roasted red pepper
1 t Italian herbs, dried
1/4 t ground black pepper
5 thin slices of tomato for decoration (optional)

Method:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees                                 
Unroll or prepare crust, and place in a 9-91/2” baking plate (pie plate)
Just before baking
In a medium bowl, whisk eggs by hand for about one minute
Add milk and whisk until evenly blended
Add herbs and black pepper, whisking again
To this mixture, add the onion, mushrooms, red pepper and spinach, stir to combine
Pour mixture into prepared crust
Sprinkle shredded cheese on top, pressing down into the mixture with spoon to coat
Bake uncovered on middle rack for 50 minutes. 
Place tomato slices on top for last 10-12 minutes, if desired
Crust and top should be golden brown
Let rest 10 minutes before slicing



Enjoy!  Would love to hear of your changes/ideas/trials with this very versatile recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment