Thursday, March 11, 2010

Scones for the Workweek


The first time I ever had a scone, it was while walking around the Market held on the Capital Square in Madison Wisconsin. I was amazed. How could this have been hidden in my life so far? Why hadn't scones and I crossed paths before? You could say I was awestruck, but that might be a bit much.
It wasn't until years later that I even ventured into making my own scones, but that being said, I'd like to share my recipe. This last batch I made with the help of a large cookie cutter, and just flattened out a pile of dough with my palm, squashed it with the cookie cutter, and tore away the remaining (outside) dough.


Here is my Cranberry and Spice Scone Recipe.

Makes 8 scones.

Combine:
1 3/4 C flour
4 t. baking powder
1/4 C sugar
1/8 t salt
1/2 t nutmeg
1/2 t allspice
With hand mixer, add:
5 T. margarine, until uniformly combined
Mix together:
1/2 C milk
1/4 C sour cream
Add to other ingredients with hand mixer
Stir in :
1 cup cranberries, or combination cranberries and raisins

At this point I usually press the dough into the bottom of the mixing bowl until it is uniform and even, then cut with a knife into 8 equal portion triangles.

Remove each from the bowl and place on a cookie sheet 2" apart.

Wash with 1 egg white and 1 T milk.
Let rest while you go sort the laundry or something for about 10 minutes.
Sprinkle the tops with sugar.
Bake at 400 degrees for 12 minutes. Tops may or may not turn golden.


These are excellent warm out of the oven, or with coffee or tea for your break at work.

I have yet to hear from husband if he likes this batch...but he might be distracted by the lemon bars I made for dessert last night! hahahaha

Try it and Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment