Saturday, March 13, 2010

Kickin' Jambalaya!

It was a partly sunny but windy day here in Louisiana, in the low 60's, perfect for Jambalaya! Warms you up on the inside, and with the way mine turned out last night, you may be sweating a bit too. We like spicy food, but if you want to tone it down, just halve the amount of cayenne. I admint it got a bit away from me. I'm a tad overzealous with the cayenne, but I can't help it, it's one of my favorite spices!

Here is my Kickin' Jambalaya Recipe:


First chop and saute in 2 T vegetable oil
1/3 C green pepper
1/4 C red pepper
1/2 C yellow onion
1/4 C celery
Saute until tender, then add
3 chopped garlic cloves
Saute a few more moments until fragrant
Place this aside in a bowl



In the same pan, saute
1 6 oz. hot smoked sausage (I used John Morrell, it was on sale), sliced into 1/4" pieces
Until lightly browned on both sides
Toss in bowl with vegetables



To the pan, add 1 T vegetable oil and scrape the brown bits from the pan into the oil, add
1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
2 T tomato paste
1 14.5 oz can of chicken broth
Mix until evenly distributed



Add these spices and herbs:
1 t cayenne
1 t oregano
2 bay leaves
1 T Creole seasoning
1/2 t white pepper
1 t black pepper
1 t garlic powder
1/4 t sage
1 t salt
Stir
Bring to a boil and then let simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered



Add vegetables and sausage from bowl
Bring to a boil again and reduce to a simmer for 45 minutes to an hour
You can then kill the heat and cover, and heat again before eating


At this point I added
6 large shrimp (precooked) this is optional
And heated thoroughly while cooking a cup and a half of rice



It came out very, very tasty, but was a little overpowered by they cayenne.
Next time, I'll reduce the amount I add, and restrain myself from adding more throughout the process. Ice cream was needed and enjoyed for dessert. Overall, I'd say it was a success.


The amount made by this recipe was enough for myself and my husband to each have a healthy portion and go back for yet another good sized bowl.





Try it! And enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment