Thursday, October 3, 2013

Simplicity 1659, The Purple Crinkle Dress



I made view C, with the skirt of view D because I don’t care for the look of hi-low skirts.
The fabric I used was a lightweight crinkled part knit probably poly blend-my best guess.
I cut a size 10, pattern sizing was from 10 to 28W.


Issues I encountered:
The front came out 3 inches longer than the back (?); I accidentally put the zipper in for view D instead of view C so it doesn’t reach the top of the dress and didn’t realize it until much later; I found that the facing was annoying, and created a lot of bulk especially at the back center.

Fit like a big bag before some of these fixes
 Other:
I really didn’t understand the point of having such thin strips of facing for the straps, and could not bear to have them loose, just pressed under and under-stitched, so I tried tacking it down, discreetly, and that showed through as tiny pucker marks.  In the end, I said heck with it, there is a seam on the other edge of the strap, so I might as well match it and permanently have that facing down in place instead of flapping around.

The whole dress had some sort of fitting issues, especially the upper, and I was really worried that I wasn’t going to be able to pull it together. 

Overall:
I feel this dress came out OK, not great, but a good addition to the same old summer staples. The fit is just a half a shade off, the darts in the front seem too low and the bust area seems too loose overall-advice: cut a smaller bust if you are in doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment