Sunday, October 6, 2013

My Kind of Chicken Soup



I know I won't be popular if I say that I just don't like chicken soup.  I never have.  I know I won't be high on your list, but it is what it is.  So, the task at hand for me tonight was to create a chicken soup that I do like, and, well, I've done just that by adding a simple twist in flavor.

This is not your ordinary chicken soup, but it is not a highly active recipe, I assure you.  It has many of the traditional ingredients, and is an all-round healthy soup too.  What sets my little soup (experiment) apart?  Three little ingredients, that when combined give it an entirely different level of flavor: ginger, fresh basil, and yellow curry.  (Of course there is garlic and onion in there too, can't make a thing without them!).

This recipe is scaled for two, having two bowls each.  Pair it with bread and you are all set to combat the cold and flu season (I've heard ginger and garlic are both really good for colds).

Yeah, the picture does not do this soup justice.  But the flavor will keep you coming back for more!

Ingredients List:
2 carrots, peeled
3 stalks of celery
1/2 medium onion
5 cloves of garlic
3/4" (squared) ginger, peeled
1 C fresh basil
1/2 C slow cooking (not instant or fast cooking) brown rice
1 chicken breast, cubed into half inch pieces
1-32 oz box PLUS 1-14.5 oz can of chicken broth
1 t black pepper
3/4 t yellow curry powder
1 1/2 T cooking oil

Making the Soup:
This can be done in either a stock pot or a skillet with high sides, so long as it gives you at least 3 quarts of room to work with.
         Prep work:  cube the chicken into half inch pieces
                           chop the celery and carrots every 1/4 inch
                           rough chop the onion and same to the basil
                           press the garlic
                           mince the ginger
In your pan or pot, heat oil (1/2 T), and saute the carrot and celery pieces until carrot is softened (approx 5 mins on med. heat), transfer to a bowl

Add remaining oil (1T), and saute the chicken, garlic, onion and ginger until the chicken is just cooked and slightly browned

Return the carrot and celery that was set aside, add the black pepper and stir until heated on medium heat

Add the basil and the curry powder and stir to coat, simmering for a minute or so to release the flavors

Add the chicken broth, stirring, and bring to a boil

Add the brown rice, stirring a bit, until it boils again

Cover, and reduce heat to a simmer for 50 minutes to an hour.  At this time, take a taste, adjust seasoning if necessary, and make sure rice is done to your liking (the rice I used required 50 minutes of dimmer time).

You can cover and simmer away until dinnertime, though your rice may start to fall apart if it's a while off, or serve now with a nice crusty bread.


And since the mister is down with a cold right now-a real nasty one-he has attested that this is one dish he can actually taste.  Being the traditionalist he is when it comes to chicken soups-insisting that they have butter and dill in them-he did give this one the thumbs up too, so I guess I'd better post it so I can remember what I did right...for next time.





No comments:

Post a Comment