Friday, April 9, 2010

Very Best Baguettes



Bread is the staple of life, it comes in so many forms, all of which (I believe) are wonderful. While I have never had the luck nor the opportunity to visit Paris, France, my beloved husband has, and when he compares this, my baguette recipe, to the famous baguettes made in France, I feel quite honored. Believe me, we've been together too long for false compliments.

I've made this baguette recipe for years, and have tweaked and polished it into yielding a perfect baguette, that I can now share with you.

It's a bit of work, I won't deny that, but in the end, with the satisfaction of biting into that crispy firm crust with the dense, warm, perfectly balanced inside, the effort is well rewarded. There is nothing that can compare. I should give you heads-up though, that a fine-mist water sprayer is necessary for this recipe to come out successfully. I use a 99-cent sprayer bottle bought at Wal-Mart years ago, and spring water. We use it to spritz orchids on most other days.


Baguette Recipe:

Make a starter the night before, by combining
3/4 C flour
3.45 oz of warm water
A pinch of yeast
Mix, cover and let this sit under a towel on the counter overnight.


The next morning, mix the following into the starter until absorbed
1 C warm water, with 1 package of yeast dissolved
3 C flour
Knead this together for 12 minutes (yes, a morning workout!)
Add 1 1/2 T salt
Knead this into the dough for another 2 minutes
Form into a ball, mist with water (I use a plant mister), and cover in a clean bowl

Let this double
Once doubled, knead 4 times, ball up the dough again, mist and cover.

Let rise another hour.

Divide the dough into 3 or 4 parts.
Gently stretch each into loaves 10-12 inches long.
Place them on a cookie sheet, mist with water and cover with plastic wrap.
Let poof for one hour.

When you preheat the oven to 425 degrees, place a vessel half-filled with water on the bottom rack for a steam bath.

Remove the plastic wrap from the loaves, and score each loaf 3 times.

Total baking time = 25 minutes.
On a timer that counts down, liberally spray the loaves with water on minute 15 (10 minutes into baking time) and on minute 7 (18 minutes into baking time).

Cool for a few minutes on the sheet, and then remove.

Loaves may be kept for a couple of days wrapped tightly in foil.

This recipe is tried and true for me. It has never failed, and pairs so nicely with many cuisines. Make these yourself, try it! And Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment