Thursday, March 13, 2014

McCall's 6802-Blah Cardigan



McCalls 6802

Hmmm.  A disappointment.


 

And this after I waited so long to get the pattern on sale! 
I had wanted to make a warm, snuggly, throw-it-on cardigan type sweater out of fleece, and had picked view C as the perfect conveyance for my idea.

The fact that it was labeled an easy sew made it all the more meant to be.  That was all in theory, however, not in practice as I soon came to find out.  

From reading other reviews, I gathered that this view was noted for excessive ease, so I decided to cut between the 8 and 10 sizes.  It also appeared that the sleeves were not full length, and that would bother me, so I chose to extend the sleeves in cutting by 5 inches.  The most obvious pointer was to cut the collar on a fold, who needs the extra seam?

So that was the plan.   
Then came the directions… and what a mess.   
They seemed all over the place, and nonsensical.  Instead I followed this chain of events because it made more sense:
Shoulder/upper arm seams
Side seams
Fold pocket top, place, pin, stitch along bottom and top stitch the pocket side near the side seam of the body (stitch fold down on one side, and all the way down, fold under then top stitch side)
Cut neck band on the fold-eliminate center back seam, stitch side of neck band, turn inside out, pin neck band seam to inside collar area, fold neck band over and pin to outside (encasing seam) and stitch
Bottom seam
Sleeve seam

And the result was well-thought out (I thought!) but hideous.  Short in length and shapeless.  Disappointing to say the least.




I can’t see giving this another go.  But the view A does look cute.  Guess I’ll check out the reviews for that one and see some finished products before I write this pattern off completely.







No comments:

Post a Comment