Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Gingerbread Houses from Scratch

Things have gone so swimmingly this year with the approaching holidays in this house, we are ready to welcome Christmas!!  So, that has given us plenty of time to get some of the "idealistic" things accomplished that we have never had the time to do in the past.  One of them on our list this year, was to make our own gingerbread houses, from scratch.



We used this recipe from epicurious, http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Gingerbread-House-103229, and baked long pieces in cookie sheets at just under 1/4" thickness.  This made enough for two medium sized houses.  Baked them on wax paper (yes, I checked the box and it was fine to do) and they were easy to cut with a pizza cutter.







































Now, for the record, I want to say that I measured my half of the pieces, found the total amount of space I would be able to work with, and proceeded to calculate the sizes and dimensions of  walls, the roof and the floor.  I drew a cutting diagram.  None of it was worthwhile in practice, so I worked with what I had.  The mister, on the other hand, goes in with no plan whatsoever, and creates a cute chateau.  Mine turned out like a bad 60's-70's apartment building:






It was in the reviewers comments that I found a shortcut about joining the pieces of gingerbread with caramelized sugar.  I'm glad it worked for them, but it only have me a burn, and the pieces fell apart anyway.
BUT, we had fun making and decorating them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment